Last revision: April 3, 2012
About Media Go Software from Sony
The Software consists of a media player and related functionality that allows you to enjoy and transfer your content across different devices. To enable its operation, the Software reads and displays certain information about the content you consume from your computer and communicates a sub-set of this information via the Internet to our servers. This information can be used by us to help the Software run better, to provide you with software updates, to provide new features and products via the Software, and to provide you with a personalized use of the Software and related services.
Information that the Software may collect from you and communicate to Sony
When you use the Software, the Software may read and display, and communicate to us for our collection, use and/or storage the following types of information about you, your system, your content and/or your usage:
System information: Each time you use the Software, the Software will read and communicate to us for our collection information automatically without further notice to you - for example:
- your computer, system and/or network IP address, and information relating to your network configuration;
- your computer, device or console ID (the unique numbers which identify the network and device you are using) and date and time of application or software usage; and
- information about the system configuration you are using, such as model and serial number, settings, information about devices connected to the hardware.
Usage information: The Software will read, collect, and/or process information about your use of the Software, such as the content stored on the hardware, which devices you use to manage and download content, what functionality you have enabled, and statistical data, such as how many times you have played MP3 music or video files.
For clarity, although the Software is designed to extract usage information for the purposes of displaying and managing your content, it does not transmit or store detailed information about your content to Sony’s servers. Specifically, the Software does not communicate to us and we do not download or store any detailed or “rich” metadata relating to your content (e.g., titles, genres or descriptions of your content). The Software only reads and displays such information to enable your use of the Software and management of your content. The Software only communicates to us, and we only collect and store raw statistical data (e.g., how many MP3 music files and photo files you have stored or how many times you have played a certain file type) to enhance interoperability of the Software with your system hardware and devices.
The Software's default settings are set so that usage information is shared with Sony. If you do not wish to share information about your use of the Software, you can turn off data submission at any time via the software’s Setup Assistant. This will stop any further sharing, but will not affect historical information already collected.
How Sony uses your information
Sony uses the information described above in Section 2 to operate the Software and to provide any products and services you ask for, including content, communications, downloads, or responses to surveys or requests. We may retain, use and disclose such information, subject to applicable laws, for the following purposes:
- Customer support: To enable Sony companies to provide technical support and assistance as directed through www.sony.com/MediaGo/support/contact-information.
- Software administration: To administer the functionalities available to you through the Software. Your information (which does not include detailed information about your content) will be communicated via the Internet to our servers and can be used to help the Software run better, to provide you with software updates, and to provide new features and products via the Software.
Who else has access to your information
Your information that is communicated to and stored by Sony may be available to other Sony companies and to third parties, as follows:
- Sony companies: Your information may be aggregated with data from other users of the Software and shared with other Sony companies for the purposes of statistical analysis and improving the Software.
- Service providers: Your information may be stored and/or processed by third parties that Sony uses to provide services that assist in the provision and operation of the Software.
- Sony’s partners: You may choose to submit personal information to companies who are not Sony companies (for example, to receive content or access services). Where you do so, Sony is not responsible for how these companies use or publish your personal information. They may have their own privacy policies and we encourage you to read them.
- Business transfer: Your information may be available to third parties during negotiations for a transfer of all or part of our business and may be transferred by us as part of that business, in which case information held by us about our customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- Compliance: We may retain, use and/or disclose any of your information as required or permitted by law, regulation or order, including to the police or other appropriate authorities, to investigate complaints made by or against you, or to protect or defend ourselves, or others, against illegal, criminal or harmful activities.
Please take great care before providing your personal information to a third party - some sites or companies may use your details without your consent or for fraudulent purposes.
Transfer of your information internationally
California Residents: California Privacy Rights/ Information Sharing Policy
Beginning on January 1, 2005, California Civil Code section 1798.83 permits Sony customers who are California residents to request certain information regarding Sony's disclosure within the immediately preceding calendar year of that California resident's personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, contact our consumer services department at this email: MediaGoPrivacy@am.sony.com.
To prevent or control the way that cookies are stored on your computer, you can adjust your Internet browser settings using the browser's 'Help' menu.
Accuracy & Security
We will use reasonable endeavours to take appropriate technical and organisational steps to prevent unauthorised access to or disclosure of your information. However, we do not guarantee that we will eliminate all risk of misuse of your personal information.
Sony is committed to complying with all applicable laws and regulations regarding the collection, storage and use of personal information concerning children under the age of 13, including, in the United States, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act and local legislation. We do not intend to collect or permit the collection, storage or use of any personal information from anyone under 13. If you choose to send an email in response to a Sony user feedback survey, we will ask you to indicate whether you are under 13 so that we may treat the information contained in such email properly. We do not and will not knowingly collect, maintain, store, use or disclose such information and we require verifiable parental consent before we would collect, use or disclose any personal information from anyone under 13. If you are under 13, please do not provide any personal information when responding to a feedback survey, or otherwise in connection with the use of our Software.
If you are a parent or guardian who knows or has discovered your child under the age of 13 has submitted his or her personal information or other information without your consent, permission or authorization, once we verify you are the child’s parent or legal guardian, upon request, we will promptly: (a) provide direct notice to you indicating what, if any, personal information of your child has been collected and how it has been used and/or disclosed; (b) remove and cease the use of your child’s personal information or other information from our database and direct any other party with access to such information to do the same; and (c) by notice to you, confirm compliance with the foregoing.
To request removal of your child's personal information and other information, send us an e-mail at: MediaGoPrivacy@am.sony.com and be sure to include the same email address your child submitted. If you don’t know or are not sure, please contact us using the contact details below in Section 12.
Visit business.ftc.gov/privacy-and-security/children's-online-privacy for information from the Federal Trade Commission about protecting children’s privacy online.
You have the right to know what information we hold about you and how that information is used. If you would like to know what information we currently hold about you, please contact customer services at the email addresses below. Where you require access to information we hold about you, we will require you to put your request in writing and provide proof of identity. You may also be charged a small administration fee, subject to applicable laws.
In Europe: MediaGoPrivacyEU@am.sony.com
In Japan: MediaGoPrivacyJapan@am.sony.com
In the US, Canada and all other countries: MediaGoPrivacy@am.sony.com
The Software is provided by:
Sony Network Entertainment International LLC
6080 Center Drive, 10th Floor
Los Angeles, California 90045